- What is a virtual power plant?
A virtual power plant, put simply is a collection of individual batteries that are managed in unison to help power customers’ homes and support the grid.
It works like this – the battery installed in your home stores excess solar energy produced by your system, to use when you need it. This helps you to use more of your own solar energy and less from the grid. The virtual power plant then uses the solar energy stored in batteries benefiting you and your community to help support the power grid during peak usage times. Most of the time your battery will be actively managed to power your home with green energy and help save money on your bills.
- Is the Virtual Power Plant right for me?
Speak to an AGL solar and battery expert to see if you are eligible to benefit from AGL’s Virtual Power Plant. Talk to us today if you:
- Own a solar system, or want to go solar.
- Own your own home.
- Currently generate more solar energy than you’re using in your home.
- Are an existing AGL electricity customer, or want to make the switch.
- Live in an eligible suburb of metropolitan Adelaide.
- Are not currently on a government solar bonus scheme feed-in tariff.
If your home generates sufficient excess solar energy you could benefit from participating in AGL’s Virtual Power Plant, by using more of the solar energy you produce.
If you are currently on a government solar bonus scheme feed-in tariff, installing a battery will affect your eligibility to access that scheme. You should consider your own personal circumstances when deciding whether to purchase a battery as part of this Virtual Power Plant offer.
You must be an existing AGL electricity customer or wanting to make the switch to participate in this offer, and remain with AGL for your electricity for the term of the agreement. If you’re currently with another electricity retailer, one of our friendly AGL customer representatives can help you make the switch.
- How can the Virtual Power Plant help me save?
AGL’s Virtual Power Plant makes battery technology affordable for everyday South Australian households. A battery helps your home use more of the solar energy you produce when the sun isn’t shining but when your household uses most of its energy – at night, or early in the morning for example. By using more of your solar energy and less energy from the grid, you could help lower your energy bills.
- What is the benefit of digitally connecting batteries?
By being a part of AGL’s Virtual Power Plant, you enjoy a discounted battery price, helping you to enjoy the benefits of battery technology in your home for less. You can also store more renewable energy for use when it’s needed, and AGL can actively manage participating batteries to help manage grid stability – like on a hot day when everyone is turning on their air conditioners. That could be by discharging your battery within your home so you draw less from the grid, or by exporting directly to the grid and paying you your standard Retailer Feed-in Tariff. It’s all about power in numbers.
- How does AGL actively manage my battery?
Your battery will utilise intelligent energy management software, to make sure your solar is working hard for you.
We use digital technology to help us intelligently manage your battery. Most of the time, your battery will discharge power to your home so you don’t need to draw energy from the grid. Occasionally, your battery will discharge power to your home or directly to the grid when there is high demand or instability in the grid. Usually this will happen at a time when your battery would be discharging anyway. You will receive your standard Retail Feed-in Tariff (RFiT) when solar energy stored in the battery is exported to the grid.
- Is this offer only available in South Australia?
Yes. AGL is pioneering the world’s largest virtual power plant of its kind in metropolitan Adelaide.
In the future, innovative ways of producing, storing and sharing energy via a virtual power plant model may become available to consumers in other areas and states. If you don’t currently meet the geographic eligibility criteria for AGL’s Virtual Power Plant, but want to start enjoying the benefits of battery technology, speak to one of our energy storage experts to register your interest – call 1300 760 034 today.
You can also sign up to receive updates on solar energy storage offers and promotions. Simply visit our Energy Storage page, and register your interest to join the AGL Power Advantage Club by submitting your details at the bottom of the page.
- What does depth of discharge mean?
Depth of discharge (DoD) describes the available capacity of a battery that can be used for charging and discharging energy.
- How long will I participate in the Virtual Power Plant and can I exit?
The agreement to participate in the Virtual Power Plant is for a 5 year period. To participate in the Virtual Power Plant, you must remain an AGL electricity customer for the 5 year term of the agreement. At the end of the period you can choose to exit the agreement.
By participating in the Virtual Power Plant demonstration project you will have a battery installed at a great price. If you choose to exit the agreement before the scheduled end date, you will be required to pay an early termination fee. The fee is capped at $5,000 and takes into account the period you have participated in the program and the total value of the products installed. This early termination fee is listed in the terms and conditions provided with your quote.
If you move house, AGL may agree to transfer your contract to be part of the Virtual power Plant program and ownership of the battery to the new owner or arrange for your battery to be transferred to your new property at your cost, so you can keep enjoying the benefits.
- Do I need to remain connected to the grid?
Yes. We’ll need your home to stay connected to the electricity grid to be a part of the virtual power plant and help to support the grid. This way you can also power your home in the event that your solar system is not generating enough energy and you have no available stored energy in your battery.
- Is this offer limited?
This is the third and final phase of this offer so act now to secure your part of Australia’s sustainable energy future before stock runs out – price and eligibility criteria are subject to change.
- What’s included in a standard battery installation quote?
A quote for a standard installation is issued to all customers before a site inspection is carried out. A standard installation includes:
- Your energy storage system, including inverter and access to the AGL’s battery monitoring portal.
- Full installation.
- Conduit and cabling between the battery location and the switchboard, up to 20 metres.
- Installation of a battery main switch circuit breaker, control circuit (VT) circuit breaker and two Current Transformers in the switchboard. The switchboard must have sufficient space to accommodate these additions.
A standard installation also assumes:
– That your battery will be installed in a non-habitable internal location, or an external location that is not subject to direct sun for lengthy periods, for example between north-west and north-east (unless determined as a suitable location by AGL).
– That the cable between the street and the switchboard, and the switchboard itself, complies with current electrical and safety standards.
A site inspection will be carried out to identify if further work needs to be carried out to make your home suitable for a safe installation. If this is the case, you will be issued with an updated quote to accept.
Talk to an AGL solar and battery expert today to learn more.
Call 1300 447 465 (8.30am to 4.30pm ACST Mon to Fri).